Monday, July 25, 2016

Stamp-a-Faire 2016: Floral Impressionism


I finished this card late last night.  Late.  As in midnight late.  Once I started, I just couldn't stop and wanted to finish it completely while the creative juices were flowing.  I spent about 2-1/2 hours making this card.  Good thing I love it!   :)  This is for the Floral Impressionism challenge.


Isn't that so soft and pretty?  I followed Melissa Phillips' instructions closely, substituting with what I have on hand.  I don't own Floral Sketches or Friendship Jar Flowers, but they are certainly on my wish list!  I have very few PTI flowers with both a solid and outline image.  I stamped the largest Pretty Peonies solid flower and leaves on watercolor cardstock using Pretty Peony and Limeade Ice ink, and then embossed the outline in white powder.  I used a waterbrush to add shades of Berry Sorbet and Summer Sunrise to the flowers with a touch of Dark Chocolate in the center.  For the leaves, I added Ripe Avocado ink.  I hand cut all of them out after they were dry.

The card base is Fresh Snow Linen cardstock.  I stamped my pint-size jar from Friendship Jar Summer Fillers in Mint Julep ink and watercolored it with Aqua Mist and Mint Julep.  Then I stamped Background Basics: Text Style over the jar and off the card in Mint Julep.  I should have waited until the watercoloring was completely dry, because a lot of it faded into the color, but I suppose that adds to the distress look.  I also stamped some of the text in the upper left.  (difficult to see in the photo)

I stamped some leafy stems from the Life set in my jar using Mint Julep ink, making sure to add some higher bits to peek out behind the flowers.  Before adding them, I sponged Aqua Mist and Pretty Peony randomly on the card.  I also added some watery Berry Sorbet drops using my finger.  I layered my three peony blooms and tucked in lots of little leaves to make my jar bouquet.  It's so pretty!  I love it when my vision works.

I had one little strip of paper from the Don't Forget to Write kit left over from another card and it was the perfect size to place underneath the jar.  I love it when that happens!  For the tag, I cut a Fillable Frames #9 die using Fresh Snow Linen cardstock.  After pondering how to get a pretty scalloped edge and unsuccessfully looking for my edger punch, I had a flash of inspiration.  Remember those Fiskars decorative scissors from way way back?  Yep, I used the scalloped one!  Glad I held onto those.  :)  I stamped a sentiment from Pretty Petals in Berry Sorbet ink and added a matching button threaded with some natural twine.

I love Melissa Phillips' original card and I'm so very happy that I was able to adapt it with the Papertrey Ink stuff that I own.  I used five different sets.  Proud of this one!

Stamps:  Pretty Peonies, Friendship Jar Summer Fillers, Background Basics: Text Style, Life, Pretty Petals (Papertrey Ink)
Ink:  VersaMark; Pale Peony, Berry Sorbet, Summer Sunrise, Dark Chocolate, Limeade Ice, Ripe Avocado, Mint Julep, Aqua Mist (Papertrey Ink)
Paper:  Fresh Snow Linen, Don't Forget to Write dsp (Papertrey Ink); watercolor paper
Misc:  Fillable Frames #9 die (Papertrey Ink); Berry Sorbet button (Papertrey Ink); Scallop Paper Edgers scissors (Fiskars); white embossing powder (Filigree); Solid Natural twine (The Twinery); ink blending tool; waterbrush

4 comments:

  1. Ann, this is just beautiful and so soft looking on the linen paper! Your 2.5 hours certainly was worth it - it's just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! I might like it better than Melissa's. (Sssh...don't tell her!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Sage was away while I worked on this challenge.... I couldn't believe the video was so long and then, how long it took me to make my card! I suggested Sage skip this challenge because it was involved.... I'm happy with the results, but I don't know if I'd repeat this technique....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!